Throughout the year STCB is looking for a motivated student to help for a minimum of 3 months to protect Bonaire’s sea turtles and to provide education to the public. An ideal candidate should be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint, should be familiar with Bonaire’s marine environment, culturally sensitive and have a background in environmental sciences.
The STCB intern has a variety of important responsibilities, and depending on the season, you may do any or all of the following:
Participate in In-Water surveys (January to April)
STCB staff and trained volunteers conduct in-water surveys three times a week. Each survey day, 3 to 4 surveys of 1000m are conducted. Survey days typically last from 08.00-17.00, so we are on the boat for up to 8 hours. Surveys have been run for 18 years to the same protocols and have provided much valuable research data for STCB.
Nest monitoring (May to December)
STCB regularly patrols beaches looking for signs of new laid nests, providing protection for existing nests, and checking on the status of the nests that are getting ready to hatch. You will learn how to: read crawls, identify nests, and take conservation efforts to ensure the safety of nests and hatchlings.
Participate in Netting Surveys (Six weeks per year)
Netting surveys require strong snorkeling skills and the ability to swim underwater to monitor the capture net and rapidly release the turtles from the net. Netting surveys are conducted in June, July, August, October, November and December.
Other tasks include:
- Data entry – updating STCB’s nest monitoring and in-water database.
- Aid in STCB’s outreach program – public presentations, workshops for children.
- STCB office – share knowledge with visitors, sell merchandise.
- Satellite tracking – learn the in’s and out’s of satellite tracking program.
- Fishing Line & Beach clean-ups
If you are interested in becoming our new intern send an email (in English) with your resume, cover letter and 2 references to Kaj Schut (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Daan Zeegers (email@example.com). STCB will provide an allowance of 400$ per month to support accommodation. Please also have a look at the website of Rijksdienst Caribisch Nederland for information about internships and required paperwork on Bonaire.
I really hope I have saved some turtles, maybe a handful through my work as a volunteer. Less importantly I had the time of my life and will never forget. Dagny on sabbatical
For our outreach program we welcome people that have decided to take a sabbatical for a few months. STCB’s sabbatical program is open to anyone with a focused interest in marketing, public relations, communications, and fundraising for non-profit organisations. You will have the opportunity to learn all aspects of the communications efforts in a non-profit environment by working directly with STCB staff. This position is unpaid, and housing is not provided. Start and end dates are flexible to accommodate your agenda with a minimum of 3 months, and 3 days per week.
- 24 hours per week
- Excellent communication skills
- Well organized
- Self-motivated and possess the ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Have experience with design programs
- Possess a creative mind
- Be in possession of a laptop, preferably a Mac with Design software
- A positive attitude
- Maintain a professional attitude when representing STCB
- Speak fluent English or Dutch, (knowledge of Papiamentu is highly desirable)
- Assist with all aspects of the communications efforts of the organisation
- Administrative functions essential to carrying out daily operations
- Attend various STCB fieldwork activities
- Support STCB’s mission: “To promote conservation of Bonaire’s endangered sea turtles.”
Interested to experience a different kind of sabbatical? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org