STCB is a non-profit, non-governmental organization. We raise funds through conservation and research grants, merchandise sales and from individual and business donors.
WWF-NL Flagship Funder. WWF-NL provides major financial support for STCB’s work in conservation and education.
As part of its mandate toward international obligations, the Dutch Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality provides annual financial support for STCB’s monitoring program.
Stichting DierenLot provides financial support for STCB’s work. In addition, Stichting DierenLot has donated an animal rescue vehicle to STCB.
Funders in 2022
Alex Bakhuizen & Anna Vasylieva
Dr. Robert Andrew Rutherford Trust
Gijs, Mieke, Daan, Sam & Florine Botman
The Laughing Seahorse
LevelUp Group B.V.
Rob van Hulsbergen
Alain De Brouwer
Dive Friends Bonaire
Harbour Village Resort
Jim & Judy Kewley
Joan & Alan Zale
Karko Real Estate
Sundhevy & Stijn
Aadya Gray Gallery
Lac Bay Casitas
Lieve vd Rijken
Nora D Martens
A big thanks to all our anonymous donors
How we spend your money
Whatever the size of the donation, we manage your gift responsibly to ensure the maximum benefit for sea turtles. We keep our administrative costs as low as possible by having the support of around 50 volunteers and year round assistance of one intern.
Your money is invested in 3 fundamental aspects:
Staff: STCB staff consists out of 2 full-timers and 1 part-time contractor.
Equipment: equipment is essential for our ongoing nest monitoring and in-water surveys.
Transportation: to do our job, we depend on our truck and boat to conduct fieldwork. That means that a part of your donations will go to finance our transport.
In 2022 your money made among others the following possible:
- Monitoring of 100 sea turtle nests on Bonaire and Klein Bonaire.
- Conducting approximately 500 nest patrols on our nesting beaches.
- Deploying temperature data loggers on Klein Bonaire, Playa Chikitu and in the south.
- Continuing the Adopt-A-Nest program, with 36 adopted nests in 2022.
- Publishing our Year Report with a design by Bonsai.
- Conducting 108 transect-count and six weeks of net-capture surveys.
- Counting 348 green and hawksbill turtles on the west coast and around Klein Bonaire.
- Capturing, weighing, measuring and tagging 259 green, hawksbill and loggerhead turtles.
- Sending out the bi-monthly newsletter.
- Responding and acting on reports called in of Turtles in Troubles.
- Organizing Fishing line removal clean up dives.
- Organizing presentations about Bonaire’s endangered sea turtles in English, Dutch and Papiamentu.
- Increasing our social media presence.
All our financial documentation including our Annual Financial Reports are available for download on our Publications page