STCB is a non-profit, non-governmental organization. We raise funds through conservation and research grants, merchandise sales and from individual and business donors.
WWF-NL Flagship Funder. WWF-NL provides major financial support for STCB’s work in conservation and education.
As part of its mandate toward international obligations, the Dutch Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality provides annual financial support for STCB’s monitoring program.
Stichting DierenLot provides financial support for STCB’s work. In addition, Stichting DierenLot has donated an animal rescue vehicle to STCB.
Funders in 2019
Blue Jay Holding B.V.
Cargill Salt Bonaire
Dive Friends Bonaire
Gijs, Mieke, Daan, Sam & Florine Botman
Parrot Island Divers
Alain de Brouwer & Dinska Dohmen
Best Cellars Bonaire
Bonaire Office Systems
Brave Water Foundation
Bruce Brabec & Marlene Robinson
Buts Technical Consultancy
Dan & Christine Fisher
Doris & Martin Elle
Dr. Robert Andrew Rutherford Trust
Hamlet Oasis Resort
Harbour Village Beach Resort
Harbourtown Real Estate
International Tax Advisors BV
Jim & Judy Kewley
Joan & Alan Zale
Labor Omnia Vincit BV
Loek & Vera Maartens
Michael & Anne Contratto
Mrs. van Lede
Sand Dollar Ca’nesta’
Sand Dollar TLC 1
Sand Dollar TLC 2
Sunbelt Realty Bonaire
Sundhevy & Stijn
The Laughing Seahorse
Villa Kiki Bonaire
VIP Diving Bonaire
Basic Bars Soap LLC
Robert & Simone
Scott & Carole Johnson
Greg & Rachelle Oppenhuizen
Eelke & Anje van Kleffens
Jan, Paul, Derk, Hans & Hans
Kevin & Sue O’Brien
Marinus de Wilde
A big thanks to all our anonymous donors
How we spend your money
Whatever the size of the donation, we manage your gift responsibly to ensure the maximum benefit for sea turtles. We keep our administrative costs as low as possible by having the support of around 40 volunteers and year round assistance of one intern.
Your money is invested in 3 fundamental aspects:
Staff: STCB staff consists out of 2 full-timers and 1 part-time contractor.
Equipment: equipment is essential for our ongoing nest monitoring and in-water surveys.
Transportation: to do our job, we depend on our truck and boat to conduct fieldwork. That means that a part of your donations will go to finance our transport.
In 2019 your money made among others the following possible:
- Monitoring of 90 sea turtle nests on Bonaire and Klein Bonaire.
- Continuing the Adopt-A-Nest program, with 44 adopted nests in 2019.
- Publishing a paper in Endangered Species Research.
- Conducting 144 transect-count and six weeks of net-capture surveys.
- Capturing, weighing, measuring and tagging 88 green and three hawksbill turtles.
- Sending out the bi-monthly newsletter.
- Responding and acting on 12 reports called in of Turtles in Troubles.
- Organizing 12 Fishing line removal clean up dives.
- Organizing 24 presentations about Bonaire’s endangered sea turtles in English, Dutch and Papiamentu.
- Increasing our social media presence.
All our financial documentation including our Annual Financial Reports are available for download on our Publications page