STCB is a non-profit, non-governmental organization. We raise funds through conservation and research grants, merchandise sales and from individual and business donors.
WWF-NL Flagship Funder. WWF-NL provides major financial support for STCB’s work in conservation and education.
As part of its mandate toward international obligations, the Dutch Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality provides annual financial support for STCB’s monitoring program.
Stichting DierenLot provides financial support for STCB’s work. In addition, Stichting DierenLot has donated an animal rescue vehicle to STCB.
Funders in 2020
Blue Jay Holding B.V.
Boat Yard Bonaire
Cargill Salt Bonaire
Dive Friends Bonaire
Gijs, Mieke, Daan, Sam & Florine Botman
Alain de Brouwer & Dinska Dohmen
Best Cellars Bonaire
Brave Water Foundation
Buts Technical Consultancy
Bruce Brabec & Marlene Robinson
Daniel Hefter & Heidi Malm
Doris & Martin Elle
Dr. Robert Andrew Rutherford Trust
Hamlet Oasis Resort
Harbour Village Beach Resort
Harbourtown Real Estate
International Tax Advisors BV
Jim & Judy Kewley
Joan & Alan Zale
Labor Omnia Vincit BV
Loek & Vera Maartens
Sue & Kevin O’Brien
Sundhevy & Stijn
The Laughing Seahorse
Scott & Carole Johnson
Vereniging van Appartementen Lac Bay Casitas
Mr. Bernard N Brans
A big thanks to all our anonymous donors
How we spend your money
Whatever the size of the donation, we manage your gift responsibly to ensure the maximum benefit for sea turtles. We keep our administrative costs as low as possible by having the support of around 40 volunteers and year round assistance of one intern.
Your money is invested in 3 fundamental aspects:
Staff: STCB staff consists out of 2 full-timers and 1 part-time contractor.
Equipment: equipment is essential for our ongoing nest monitoring and in-water surveys.
Transportation: to do our job, we depend on our truck and boat to conduct fieldwork. That means that a part of your donations will go to finance our transport.
In 2020 your money made among others the following possible:
- Monitoring of more than 110 sea turtle nests on Bonaire and Klein Bonaire.
- Continuing the Adopt-A-Nest program, with 33 adopted nests in 2020.
- Publishing our Year Report with a new design
- Conducting 108 transect-count and five weeks of net-capture surveys.
- Counting 298 green and hawksbill turtles on the west coast and around Klein Bonaire.
- Capturing, weighing, measuring and tagging 144 green, three hawksbill and one loggerhead turtle.
- Deploying a satellite transmitter on a hawksbill turtle called ‘Flappie’.
- Sending out the bi-monthly newsletter.
- Responding and acting on reports called in of Turtles in Troubles.
- Organizing Fishing line removal clean up dives.
- Organizing presentations about Bonaire’s endangered sea turtles in English, Dutch and Papiamentu.
- Increasing our social media presence.
All our financial documentation including our Annual Financial Reports are available for download on our Publications page