STCB is a non-profit, non-governmental organization. We raise funds through conservation and research grants, merchandise sales and from individual and business donors.
WWF-NL Flagship Funder. WWF-NL provides major financial support for STCB’s work in conservation and education.
As part of its mandate toward international obligations, the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs provides annual financial support for STCB’s monitoring program.
Stichting DierenLot provides financial support for STCB’s work. In addition, Stichting DierenLot has donated an animal rescue vehicle to STCB.
Funders in 2018
Blue Jay Holding B.V.
Dutch Caribbean Nature Alliance (DCNA)
Alain de Brouwer & Dinska Dohmen
Ashley & Barrett Jackson
Becky & Lester Litton
Bonaire Office Systems
Bonnie Watson (in memory of Marlyn Kader)
Buts Technical Consultancy
Cargill Salt Bonaire B.V.
De Statiegeld BV
Den Laman Condominiums
Doris & Martin Elle
Dr. Robert Andrew Rutherford Trust
Hamlet Oasis Resort
Harbour Village Beach Resort
Harbourtown Real Estate
International Tax Advisors BV
Jim & Judy Kewley
Loek & Vera Maartens
Personal Care Concepts
Piet Boon Bonaire
Power of Love 7
Sand Dollar Canasta Group
Sunbelt Realty Bonaire
Terramar Luxury Apartments
Villa Kiki Bonaire
VIP Diving Bonaire
dNM Interim Staff
Family van Winsen
Jacob & Ben Rubin
Maduro & Curiel’s Bank
Patty & Sal Guia
Wendy & Bas Brull Franssen
Fee Smulders & Milan van Boheemen
Matthias & Madeleine Cupper
Simone & Rinse Kool
A big thanks to all our anonymous donors
How we spend your money
Whatever the size of the donation, we manage your gift responsibly to ensure the maximum benefit for sea turtles. We keep our administrative costs as low as possible by having the support of around 40 volunteers and year round assistance of one intern.
Your money is invested in 3 fundamental aspects:
Staff: STCB staff consists out of 2 full-timers and 1 part-time contractor.
Equipment: equipment is essential for our ongoing nest monitoring and in-water surveys.
Transportation: to do our job, we depend on our truck and boat to conduct fieldwork. That means that a part of your donations will go to finance our transport.
In 2018 your money made among others the following possible:
- Monitoring of 105 sea turtle nests on Bonaire and Klein Bonaire and safeguarding of 10,328 hatchlings.
- Deploying a satellite transmitter on a green turtle named ‘Bonni’.
- Continuing the Adopt-A-Nest program, with 56 adopted nests in 2018.
- Partnering with Wild Conscience to protect the beaches and mangroves of Bonaire.
- Sending out the bi-monthly newsletter.
- Conducting 144 in-water turtle foraging ground surveys.
- Responding and acting on 10 reports called in of Turtles in Troubles.
- Organizing 5 Fishing line removal clean up dives.
- Addressing policy and legislation threats to the marine park through the “Save Bonaire Marine Park” initiative.
- Partnering with Boneiru Duradero to study the feasibility to ban plastic bags on Bonaire in the future.
- Organizing 24 presentations about Bonaire’s endangered sea turtles in English, Dutch and Papiamentu.
- Increasing our social media presence.
- Buying fieldwork equipment, regulator and (pit) tags.
All our financial documentation including our Annual Financial Reports are available for download on our Publications page