STCB is a non-profit, non-governmental organization. We raise funds through conservation and research grants, merchandise sales and from individual and business donors.
WWF-NL Flagship Funder. WWF-NL provides major financial support for STCB’s work in conservation and education.
As part of its mandate toward international obligations, the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs provides annual financial support for STCB’s monitoring program.
Stichting DierenLot provides financial support for STCB’s work. In addition, Stichting DierenLot has donated an animal rescue vehicle to STCB.
Funders in 2017
Blue Jay Holding B.V.
Dive Friends Bonaire
Dutch Caribbean Nature Alliance (DCNA)
Gert Jan Hubers
Foundation to Preserve Klein Bonaire
Harbour Village Marina
Kevin and Sharon Pursley
Menta Capital B.V.
Stichting Sea & Land Wonders Dutch Caribbean
American Consulting Group B.V.
Barbara & Angelique
Bonaire Office Systems
Bruce Brabec & Marlene Robinson
Broadreach Global Summar Education Adventures
Buts Technical Consultancy
Cargill Salt Bonaire B.V.
Daniel & Christine Fisher
Dr. Robert Andrew Rutherford Trust
Go Dive Houten
Hamlet Oasis Resort
Hans & Jannie Koning
Harbour Village Beach Resort
Harbourtown Real Estate
Jeff T. Symons
Julia Janice (Okinawa Sea Turtles)
Lac Bay Resort
Loek & Vera Maartens
Maduro & Curiel’s Bank Bonaire N.V.
Michael Hutton (Doreen & Rich Schwerdtfeger)
RE/MAX Paradise Homes
VIP Diving Bonaire
David J. Fishman
Don Leonard & Ann Diersing
Rich & Doreen Schwerdtfeger
Ken & Cheryl Chaney
Peter & Germaine van den Biggelaar
Renee van Geel
T. Scokel (in honour of Alex Scokel)
Aja Radl & Scott Gilchrist
Freek & Marijke Edeling
Luis Cesar Savi
Simone & Rinse Kool
A big thanks to all our anonymous donors
How we spend your money
Whatever the size of the donation, we manage your gift responsibly to ensure the maximum benefit for sea turtles. We keep our administrative costs as low as possible by having the support of around 40 volunteers and year round assistance of one intern.
Your money is invested in 3 fundamental aspects:
Staff: STCB staff consists out of 2 full-timers and 1 part-time contractor.
Equipment: equipment is essential for our ongoing nest monitoring and in-water surveys.
Transportation: to do our job, we depend on our truck and boat to conduct fieldwork. That means that a part of your donations will go to finance our transport.
In 2017 your money made among others the following possible:
- Monitoring of 128 sea turtle nests on Bonaire and Klein Bonaire and safeguarding of 12,139 hatchlings.
- Partnering with NWO research group to study connectivity among sea turtles within the Dutch Caribbean.
- Continuing the Adopt-A-Nest program, with 38 adopted nests in 2017.
- The successful rehabilitation of a juvenile green turtle.
- Partnering with Wild Conscience to protect the beaches and mangroves of Bonaire.
- Sending out the bi-monthly newsletter.
- Conducting in-water turtle foraging ground surveys.
- Responding and acting on 35 reports called in of Turtles in Troubles.
- Organizing 7 Fishing line removal clean up dives.
- Addressing policy and legislation threats to the marine park through the “Save Bonaire Marine Park” initiative.
- Partnering with Boneiru Duradero to study the feasibility to ban plastic bags on Bonaire in the future.
- Organizing 28 presentations about Bonaire’s endangered sea turtles in English, Dutch and Papiamentu.
- Increasing our social media presence.
- Buying fieldwork equipment, regulator and (pit) tags.
All our financial documentation including our Annual Financial Reports are available for download on our Publications page