Vacancy: STCB is looking for a Communications & Fund Development Officer.
Position Title: Communications & Fund Development Officer
Location: Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean
Duration: Part time, 32 hours per week
Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire (STCB), a non-governmental research and conservation organization that has been protecting sea turtles since 1991, is looking for a Communications & Fund Development Officer (CFDO). The CFDO is responsible for the communication, education and public awareness (CEPA) plans that serve STCB’s entire program from core activities to fund development and advocacy.
The CFDO has the responsibility to assist the manager to meet the following strategic elements which are designed to achieve STCB’s mission:
- Strategic management and conservation actions to protect Bonaire’s sea turtles and their environment,
- Applied research and monitoring to contribute to the knowledge base of sea turtle conservation/biology, and to guide management practices,
- Effective communication, focused on education, training, advocacy, and promotion to increase community-wide awareness of and support for sea turtle conservation issues,
- Strategic partnerships and networks to protect Bonaire’s turtles locally and throughout their migratory range,
- Fund development that generates diverse revenue sufficient to achieve STCB’s mission over time, and
- Organizational development that leads to effective operation of the organization.
In addition, the Communications Officer will also be active in the field, to support STCB’s team with all fieldwork, including nest monitoring and in-water surveys.
The Communications & Fund Development Officer:
- Creates STCB’s communication materials, including press releases, social media posts, newsletters, reports etc.;
- Ensures that STCB’s website is up-to-date with current work;
- Helps identify funding opportunities and develops new fundraising activities and events in conjunction with the Manager;
- Participates in organizing events, including clean-ups, exhibitions, open days, press moments etc.
- Maintains an appropriate record keeping to ensure fundraising income is processed efficiently with timely acknowledgements, thank you letters and donor reports;
- Coordinates and/or conducts public presentations and educational events;
- Assists and/or acts as a spokesperson for the organization when needed;
- Assists in STCB’s merchandise program, including stock keeping at the office and vendors;
- Assists with general administrative tasks such as monitoring and keeping office supplies in stock, filing, and bank and mail errands.
- Assists with other duties as assigned by STCB’s Manager.
- Minimum bachelor degree academic level required;
- Fluent English in both writing and speaking is a must. Preferably bilingual; Papiamentu is desirable as the second language but not mandatory.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and team-building skills; should be able to work independently as well as in a team, to juggle a variety of tasks simultaneously and work under pressure;
- Excellent written communication and editing skills for multiple audiences and media;
- Ability to communicate effectively in a tactful and courteous manner with a variety of people, including employees, volunteers and the general public;
- Ability to be detail oriented and think analytically, creatively and critically;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize assignments;
- Experience in communication and non-profit fund development;
- Grant writing and reporting experience;
- Experience working with WordPress, MailChimp, Photoshop/Affinity is desirable.
To apply, please e-mail your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (attn. Kaj Schut). Deadline for submitting applications is 10th December, 2021. Interviews will take place in January 2022.