Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire is looking for a Field Coordinator. If you are (or know) a turtle lover that would like to join our team, please apply!
Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire (STCB), a non-governmental research and conservation organization that has been protecting sea turtles since 1991, is looking for a Field Coordinator. The Field Coordinator helps to carry out the complete scope of field work activities and day to day operations of STCB under the direction of the Manager. The Field Coordinator has the responsibility for assisting the manager to meet the following strategic elements which are designed to achieve STCB’s mission:
- Strategic management and conservation actions to protect Bonaire’s sea turtles and their environment,
- Applied research and monitoring to contribute to the knowledge base of sea turtle conservation/biology, and to guide management practices,
- Effective communication, focused on education, training, advocacy, and promotion to increase community-wide awareness of and support for sea turtle conservation issues,
- Strategic partnerships and networks to protect Bonaire’s turtles locally and throughout their migratory range,
- Fund development that generates diverse revenue sufficient to achieve STCB’s mission over time, and
- Organizational development that leads to effective operation of the organization.
Specific tasks related to this position include:
- Coordinate and conduct the nest monitoring program in cooperation with STCB’s core volunteers.
- Conduct in-water surveys and manage data in cooperation with the in-water program coordinator.
- Coordinate and execute beach clean-ups and the Fishing Line Clean-Up program.
- Assist with satellite tracking related activities.
- Respond to reports of turtle-related problems with STCB’s Manager.
- Coordinate and/or conduct public presentations.
- Assist and/or act as a spokesperson for the organization when needed.
- Participate in the creation and execution of fundraising events.
- Assist in the merchandise program.
- Assist with general administrative tasks such as monitoring and keeping office supplies in stock, filing, and bank and mail errands.
- Be responsible for the maintenance of the organization’s field equipment, including STCB’s boats and cars.
- Recruit, coordinate and supervise volunteers for appropriate program activities.
- Maintaining social media outreach and updating STCB’s website with field work related information (e.g. nest count).
- Other duties as assigned by STCB’s Manager.
- Minimum Bachelor degree academic level required, preferably in Biology or a related field.
- Fluent English both writing and speaking is a must. Preferably bilingual.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and team-building skills; should be able to work independently as well as in a team, to juggle a variety of tasks simultaneously and work under pressure.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a tactful and courteous manner with a variety of people, including employees, volunteers and the general public.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Experience with sea turtle work is desirable but not mandatory.
- Dive training certificate is desirable, snorkel experience and strong swimming ability is a must.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook); must be comfortable working with spreadsheets.
Deadline for submitting applications is November 15th.